During the colder months, I enjoy finding variations on soup and chili recipes. This past fall I found a delightful vegetarian dish, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili.
If you would like to add protein to this recipe it tastes delicious with cooked ground turkey or chopped roasted chicken.
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of cooked black beans or 2 (14 oz.) cans of reduced-sodium black beans
- 2 cups Bone Broth, chicken flavored
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tbls. Chili Powder
- 4 Tblsp. Lime Juice
- 1 (14 oz.) can of Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro for topping
- Olive oil or cooking oil of choice
- I prefer using a can of pico instead of diced tomatoes. I think it adds just a little extra spicy flavor.
- Heat saucepan to medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onions, stirring often until the onion begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt; stir until throughly mixed.
- Next add bone broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender (between 10 and 12 minutes).
- Add black beans, tomatoes (or pico), and lime juice; mix well and let cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve warm with any additional toppings desired.
After making this dish several times I have decided to top with chopped avocado. It provides some healthy fats to the dish and cools down the spiciness of the dish. For additional suggestions, please visit the Mrs. B on a Mission YouTube channel for the cooking video that pairs with this recipe.
Enjoy this warm and tasty dish and let me know how it goes!
Happy Cooking, Mrs. B