What is really unique about this Thai Peanut Chicken recipe is that it can be presented as gluten-free or part of a Whole 30 meal plan. The name is somewhat deceptive because even though it says Thain Peanut Chicken it does not have any peanuts in it and is, therefore, suitable for those who have peanut allergies. It has a peanut flavor but it made with sunflower butter and sesame oil.
The recipe as presented is part of a Whole 30 diet, however, adding rice to the dish changes it to fit in with a gluten-free diet.
- 1 Date, chopped
- 1 to 2 boneless chicken breast
- 2 minced Garlic Cloves or 1 Tbls. Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbls. Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Butter
- 1/2 a lime juiced or 2 Tbls. lime juice
- 6 Tbls. Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbls. Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 medium Zucchini (optional)
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 Tbls. Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Place the chopped date in a microwave-safe cup and cover with water. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Then mash date with a fork in the water until it is a lumpy consistency.
- Wisk together the garlic, ginger, sunflower butter, lime juice, coconut aminos, sesame oil, sea salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the date mixed, whisk well, and set aside.
- Next slice boneless chicken into 2-inch slices. Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat, drizzle with a splash of oil and then add chicken. Cook thoroughly on both sides which usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add in zucchini, carrots, and chopped peppers. Cook until vegetables are slightly tender and browning.
- Remove skillet from heat then stir in cooked chicken and peanut sauce. Mix well.
- (Optional: pour mixture over rice if you are making the dish gluten-free instead of Whole 30)
For additional suggestions, please visit the Mrs. B on a Mission YouTube channel for the cooking video that pairs with this recipe.
Happy Cooking, Mrs. B